Hispano-Suiza was founded by Emilio de la Cuadra and Swiss engineer Marc Birkigt. Originally incorporated in Barcelona, it is most famous as a French marque. As Spain was a relatively poor country, the wealthy French market potential prompted the construction of a factory in Paris in 1912.
Hispano-Suiza acquired French automaker Ballot in 1930, and the following year produced the largest, most complex and most expensive design the J12 with a V-12 engine designed by Birkigt who held several engineering patents.
The 6-cylinder 4.9 liter Model K6 engine was introduced in 1935 and used the push-rod overhead valves like the J12; Hispano-Suiza production ceased in Paris in 1938 after an estimated 2,600 cars had been constructed. A total of 204 K6s were built from 1934 – 1938. Rare and elegant one of a kind coachwork by Fernandez et Darrin, Art Deco interior. A classic example of a long-distance continental touring automobile.