Explore Volunteer Opportunities - Get Involved!
At the Blackhawk Museum, we believe that a museum’s strength comes from its community, and that volunteers are the foundation of our community. Our volunteers give their free time to enhance the experience of every visitor that comes through the door. Whether providing guided tours to school and adult groups, greeting Museum visitors, representing the Museum at a car show or other special event, fundraising for our Education Fund, or simply lending their real-world expertise to the Museum’s staff, the Blackhawk Museum couldn’t function without our volunteers.
If you would like to join a group of enthusiastic people with shared interests, the Museum’s many volunteer opportunities are for you!
Hear From Our Docents
Docent Volunteer Opportunities
Docents are trained to give guided tours of our permanent exhibitions (International Automotive Treasures , Spirit of the Old West and Into China) to school and adult groups. Docents learn about permanent and changing exhibitions at the Museum and are trained in touring techniques for diverse visitors.
- Attend the Orientation. See below for the next training.
- Attend training sessions 10 AM to Noon, January 2 – March 27, 2020. (Graduation will be held on Thursday, April 9, 2020)
- Commitment of 2 tours a month for 2 years after graduating.
- No experience necessary! Training consists of exhibition content and tour techniques. Bring your enthusiasm.
- Complete a short research assignment and sample tour presentation during training.
- All volunteers are required to purchase an annual membership to the Museum (Click here for Museum Membership rates)
- 18 years or older.
Interested in becoming a Docent?
- Training runs for three months
- Training sessions presented by staff and guest speakers are held on Thursday mornings from 10:00am-12:00pm.
- Training consists of content sessions, gallery walks, touring techniques, discussion, and research. Graduation is in April.
- During the training period trainees are encouraged to shadow veteran Docents on tours.
Upon graduation, continuing Docents are provided with monthly ongoing education and training sessions.
For more information: Please contact Ed Holloway at email@example.com. or (925) 736-2277 ext 238.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
We are recruiting volunteers for the below opportunities year-round.
Fundraising & Operational Support
Fundraisers provide a range of support from hospitality to data entry for annual events including luncheons, fashion shows, and the Night at the Museum gala. Fundraising proceeds support the Museum’s Education Fund, which provides funding for field trip bus transportation, educational materials, Docent training, public programs, and guest speakers.
Greeters and Ushers
Many events require Greeters and Ushers who welcome people at the door, provide information about exhibitions, and assist with seating.
Volunteers act as Museum ambassadors, informing the public about Museum Membership benefits and the activities of the Blackhawk Museum Volunteers. They also provide general information about the Museum and programs including our lectures and events.
- Commitment of 2 hours of volunteer activity a month.
- Interest in museums and education. Volunteers commit their time and talents to events and fundraisers that support the Museum’s educational goals.
- All volunteers are required to purchase an annual membership to the Museum (Click here for Museum Membership rates).
- 18 years or older.
• Get involved at the Museum! Give back to your community.
• Meet new people who have similar interests.
• Expand your knowledge and have an opportunity to share what you are learning.
• Museum membership. All Museum Members receive the following basic benefits:
- Unlimited free admission to the Museum for one year. (The number of guests allowed per visit varies by Membership Level).
- Exclusive offers and discounts on Museum ticketed events.
- Invitations to special Members-only events and viewing hours.
• Special access to educational training programs and materials.
• Monthly Blackhawk Museum Volunteers newsletter.
Blackhawk Museum Volunteers
All volunteers become members of the Blackhawk Museum Volunteers. Organized in 1991, Blackhawk Museum Volunteers, chaired by Pat Behring, is our volunteer organization. Volunteer positions include Docents, and support for special events, fundraising, membership, and operational activities.
For Questions or to Receive a Volunteer Application
If you are interested in volunteering at the Blackhawk Museum, please fill out our volunteer application. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.